Thursday, November 05, 2009

Up for Grabs

Couple of big conference games in the SEC and Big 10 with huge ramifications. Big 12? Not so much, unless you're glued to the Big 12 North fight between the Kansas schools this weekend...and I doubt you are.

We'll get into the meaningful games, but first...

Release the hounds. That's what the Texas coaching staff will do this weekend. Their toughest games behind while they seem to be getting closer to hitting a stride equates to a long, LONG day for Central Florida this weekend. The good news is the game is early so they'll likely be home by 9pm or so. I expect to see Colt's biggest day of the year with huge games from Shipley and Whittaker. And I seriously think we're going to see the defense pitching a shutout.

I honestly don't know what else to tell you here - this will be nothing more than a nice warm up to the big afternoon game in the SEC for you die-hard fans.

Texas - 52
Central Florida - 0

Do or die cajun style in Tuscaloosa. LSU visits the Crimson Tide on Saturday afternoon with the SEC West up for grabs. Bama wins and they lock it up. LSU wins and they're in the driver's seat. Both teams have great defenses and questionable offenses. Oh, and by the way, in case you haven't been following, Nick Saban coached down in Baton Rouge, brought them a national title, and then stiffed them for the NFL. Sooo, there won't be a lot of love from what's sure to be a huge Tiger turnout.

Trust me friends, yards and points will be at a premium on Saturday. LSU's offense has been anemic this year, however the last couple of games they've played have seen them actually sustain drives and put up a lot of yards and points. Their QB seems to be getting into a good rhythm and if Charles Scott is healthy, he's a very good back.

Meanwhile, the Tide's offense has seemed to regress a bit, but they still have Mark Ingram and he's a flat-out play maker. I imagine you'll see a lot of 8 in the box with a lot of attention on their number one receiver, Julio.

Because it's college football and more often than not, wrenches get thrown into the mix. It's the last month of the season and I don't believe we'll see ALL 3 of these top teams go through unscathed - chaos begins this weekend as LSU out lasts the Tide on the road...I mean, hell, why not.

LSU - 17
Alabama - 16

Two quarterbacks with something to prove. Ohio State's Terrell Pryor is out to shake off his recent struggles with a big, high-profile game in Happy Valley. Ironically, Daryll Clark is in a similar situation. Both of these guys have struggled to live up to expectations and both have dropped their biggest games of the year.

This game is going to come down to the quarterbacks' ability to protect the ball - both have struggled with turnovers this year. I'm pretty sure Ohio State isn't quite as good as expected this year, and I think it's largely due to the fact that Pryor hasn't progressed as quickly as was anticipated. But, I just don't know how good Penn State *really* are. Don't get me wrong, they're a solid team, but you know what I mean, they're Jekyll and Hyde.

I'm giving the edge to Penn State here and I know that's not a stretch. They're at home, they've got a better defense and Clark is a senior so I think he'll make a few more plays. A win here and in two weeks against Iowa for the Buckeyes and they'll win the conference. I just think that's too much for this team right now.

Penn State - 31
Ohio State - 17

Other College Football Thoughts...
  • Let Down Alert in Palo Alto: Coming off of arguably the biggest win in it's school history, Oregon visits Stanford on Saturday. Oregon has beaten these guys something like 7 or 8 straight times so it would be easy to look past the Cardinal, but this is a much better Stanford team than in year's past - they have the top rated QB and the top rusher in the conference in their backfield. Don't be shocked to see Oregon take a dump on their season by looking past Stanford. Not saying it'll happen, but I'm saying keep an eye on this one if you can, could get good.
  • I mentioned this above, but believe it or not there's a pretty significant game in the race for the Big 12 North division with Kansas visiting Kansas State. I'm jumping on the Wildcats bandwagon and picking KSU to take control of the north.
  • I think Case Keenum should be talked about more in heisman discussions right now. No one has really separated themselves this year and there's still a good chunk to go, but this guy is money.
  • And speaking of the heisman - for all you Longhorn homers out, there's still time for Colt to climb back up in the discussion. With this remaining schedule he's got a real shot to throw up 8+ touchdowns and a whole boat load of yards. But seriously, he can't turn the ball over. Period.
  • Interesting game in Lincoln with OU visiting Nebraska. It's like the good old days....except not. I think OU may destroy them.
NFL Notes:
  • I'm taking it all back - Roy Williams sucks. He's overrated and a big baby. That's got to be a hard check to write each week for Jerry.
  • I have a hard time believing the Cowboys continue this run in Philly. The Eagles are coming off of a huge win against the Giants and have to be brimming with confidence. If I'm Wade I consider benching Williams for this game or leaving him home - you let him affect team structure (which is delicate as it is) and you'll get embarrassed.
  • The Niners and the Dolphins are two teams that are way better than their records indicate. Both teams are 3-4, but may be the most dangerous teams in their respective conferences.
  • Will be interesting to see how McDaniels and the Broncos respond after a big road loss. They get the Steelers at home. I'm going with the Broncos here - I believe in McDaniels and that defense.
  • I can't imagine the Giants losing a fourth straight game this week with the Chargers visiting. The Giants secondary is banged up and hurting, and Rivers has a big arm for the deep ball. Going to be tough, but I've got to think the G-Men can nut out a win.
  • The next two weeks will tell us if this Bengals renaissance is for real - they get Baltimore and the Steelers. I Benson and Palmer stay healthy, I think they at least split those games.
  • FANTASY UPDATE: Well, I took one on the chin last weekend. Now I officially have no idea what I'm doing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home