Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Trick or Treat

We shall see come the wee hours of Sunday morning - there are a couple of scary looking games for a few teams (ok, I'm done with the Halloween schtick). Before I dive into it, did you happen to see UNC (previously unbeaten in ACC play) go into Blacksburg and knock off the Hokies? Wow. Yet again, VaTech starts off strong and loses 2 of 3 in the middle of the year. It's getting late and I'm finally back into the "real" job life...which means I'm tired.

It's creepy how similar this Oklahoma State game is to last year's Texas Tech game. That's the primary thing that scares me to be honest. Coming into the year this definitely looked like one of the tougher games for Texas this season, and it still is....but it's not what it could be. As much as I feel like I should be scared about this game, the fact of the matter is with no Dez Bryant and a hobbled Kendall Hunter, the Cowboys will be without their two best players. That is huge. Bryant was the one equalizer against this Texas secondary with his unique size and speed. And Hunter was the Big 12's leading rusher last year.

Nevertheless, the atmosphere should be crazy. Halloween, Saturday night on a college campus in a city with absolutely nothing to do (that would be Stillwater, OK) - yeah, they'll be drunk. Like I said, Lubbock last year. And, even with Hunter out, Okie State has one of the better running games on Texas' schedule this year - in fact, I think they are the best rushing team Texas will have faced this year. With this Texas defense, something has to give - and I'm afraid it's going to be the Okie State run game. Last year, the Cowboys rolled into Austin and put up over 200 yards on the ground. Trust me, Muschamp hasn't forgotten that. They won't do that again.

So the bad combination of the game has to be Okie State's questionable (at best) pass defense, and Colt McCoy's renaissance as a big-time offensive threat. If the Mizzou game was any indication of what we can expect, the Cowboy defense is in trouble. And pssst, you may want to cover one Jordan Shipley.

Here's the deal - if Hunter were healthy and Bryant playing, and based on what I've seen from Texas, I'd be picking OSU. But those guys aren't playing...so I'm not going to do it. Texas doesn't need to blow these guys, they just need to win....but I think they'll blow them out.

Texas - 47
Okie State - 22

Could we have a changing of the guard in Eugene late Saturday night? Big, bad USC visits Oregon Saturday night and you could argue that both team's season is on the line. Oregon wins and they notch that signature win they so sorely need, and they control their own destiny for the conference title and Rose Bowl. USC wins and they get a big, BUG bump in the standings due to a big road win over ranked team, they control their destiny for like an 8th straight conference title, and they remain in the national title hunt.

Oregon seems to be a pretty damn complete team. Although they don't throw it a lot, they do run one hell of an effective option attack. That's the problem here, in my humble opinion. The Trojans have a freshman QB, but they've got weapons in so many areas, especially at running back. This takes a lot of pressure off of Barkley. But it's the decimated Trojan defense that worries me. I don't think they've had a drop off of talent like this in the last 10 years or so - they're all playing on Sundays now. I just don't know if they'll be able to stop the option attack.

Look, if USC wins no one is going to be surprised. But, based on what I've seen, I can't pick the Trojans.

Oregon - 31
USC - 26

Upset Alert at the cocktail party. I know, this sounds crazy given how much Georgia has underachieved this year, but something is weird and wrong with these Gators. I do know that EVERYONE underestimated the loss of Percy Harvin, but I don't know if Tebow is still having lingering effects from his concussion. Georgia has a piss-poor pass defense and so Timmy is going to have to be able to throw the ball down field.

This has to be THE game for the Georgia Bulldogs. Win this game and it makes your whole season (which has been disappointing up to this point). That's what Florida needs to worry about, but let's not forget that this IS a rivalry game played on a neutral site.

Who knows, Tebow could have a Colt-like awakening this week and spark this offense to come alive. Or, they'll continue to play OK teams tighter than they should. I'm leaning towards Georgia hanging around and putting themselves in a position to win.

Georgia - 26
Florida - 24

Other College Football Thoughts...
  • I'm not complaining about Bryant not playing, but what a weird scenario with him being suspended for the year. He did lie through his teeth, but he didn't actually break any rules - that's what's weird, he got a worse punishment than a lot people who actually break the rules. Another stellar endorsement for the NCAA.
  • I'll keep saying this until someone does step up - Texas receivers need to step up and make a play.
  • Here's one for you - Colt McCoy is completing 36% of his passes that are more than 5 yards down field (that's last in the country). That's an amazing stat.
  • The SEC refs need a really good weekend this weekend.
  • I really want to think that Pitt is coming to stay on and climb into a BCS game, but it seems like they are guaranteed to lose a game they shouldn't, late in the year. I think they close with Cincy at home. That should be a hell of a game.
  • Can any coach throw his team under the bus better than Mike Leach?
Thoughts From the NFL...
  • How freaking good is Mile Austin for Dallas? Oooooohhhh, damn, too bad you just gave all that money to Roy Williams. Too bad.
  • It's nice to see the resurgence of a couple of Longhorns in Ricky Williams and Cedric Benson. I've said this before, but isn't Ricky's stories one of the better stories of the last 10 years in the league? Talk about a huge turnaround. And Benson - what in the hell has gotten into him lately? Whatever it is the Bengals like it.
  • I'm afraid Denver's magical undefeated run ends this weekend with a trip to desperate Baltimore. Kyle Orton, meet Ray Lewis.
  • Don't look now Romo-sexuals, but depending on how the Giants/Eagles plays out, Dallas could be looking at a tie for the top spot in the NFC East.
  • And speaking of the NFC East, I can't see the Giants dropping 3 straight - this will be VERY tough in Philly, but as I like to do in the NFL, I'm going with the desperate team.
  • Way to sack up at the Congress hearing Goodell. (note the sarcasm)
  • FANTASY UPDATE: Interesting weekend ahead. All of my players have pretty tough games save for Braylon Edwards. One quick note on that, it's amazing how you can look at a player in a completely different light once you have him on your fantasy team. Still not letting it affect my love for the NFL, but it is noticeable...and weird.
  • VY back in the starting line up this weekend as the Colts take on the Jags. This is it Vinny - these 10 games are going to have an ENORMOUS impact on your future in this league. Time to step up....we'll see. I've seen nothing to make me think we're going to get anything different, but I hope he can make it happen.
  • Maybe this will be the weekend the Saints come down to earth? Anyone?
  • Take this to the bank - the Lions pick up their second win of the season this Sunday. Something tells me we won't see this game on TV.
That's what I got gang - enjoy the Halloween weekend and I'll be back with an update on Sunday.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I'm not one to nit-pick grammar, but this phrase in the fifth paragraph needs some editing stat - "Texas doesn't need to blow these guys". The omission of the word "out" after "blow" had resulted in a somewhat awkward statement. Still love the blog btw.

2:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I miss the non-sports ranting. Bring back the random thoughts!

5:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home