Saturday, September 13, 2014

Your Prodigal Ranter

Has returned! Well well well my friends, if my math is right, it's been 7 months and 12 days since my last post. The excuses are aplenty, but I will spare you so we can get right to it.

Since we were last together in this forum, a lot of shit has gone down - rather than spend countless words and pages recounting it, let's just do a quick snapshot. Since last year....

Texas football (yet again) underachieved, culminating in a much anticipated blowout to the hands of Oregon in some bowl I can no longer recall (Holiday?). 
Texas basketball OVERACHIEVED saving Rick Barnes his job and giving Texas bball fans (all 17 of us) reason to have hope. By the way, last year was Rick Barnes greatest coaching performance of his career. 
Texas whiffed on recruits, hired a new AD no one saw coming, fired their coach, made everyone believe Nick Satan was coming in when in reality he probably never was, and now we are fully entrenched in the Charlie Strong era (and I for one could not be happier). Does just about cover it???

Now that we're caught up, let's jump into present day. I'll start at a high level looking at this Texas program and where it is, and then drill down into positions and games.

THE Texas Longhorn Football Program
Think about where this program was one year ago today. In some ways, so much the same, but in other ways so very different. I would like to think that most fans would appreciate not only the fact that Charlie Strong is bringing a culture and mentality of hard work, accountability and family to this program, but also how difficult it is to instill such a culture when it's blatantly clear these things HAVE NOT existed in quite some time. This brings me to the word that Texas fans fear most: patience. If you can't handle patience, go root for a new team. Period. Embracing (much needed) change, means you embrace the process and time it takes to implement said change. As Vance Bedford said early in spring practice, "The train is coming, get on board or get out d'way."

The good news is you could see a change in game 1. Granted, it wasn't a world beater in North Texas, but you could see the difference in execution, especially on defense - swarming the ball, NOT missing tackles, playing with intensity, forcing turnovers. You could see it first hand. Then came the third quarter in the BYU game...and....well....we know how that worked out. Remember that P-word above? The BYU game was a stinging reminder of just how much of it we need.

One thing I took away from the BYU game was as excited as I am about having Charlie Strong here, I also realized I a) over estimated the mindset change that is occurring, and b) over estimated how talented this team is. Let's also be fair about one thing - this team has been DECIMATED by injuries on the offensive side of the ball and lack of depth is killing them. It's tough to be effective with that 2-headed monster at running back when you're playing with backups (and even backups to backups) everywhere else. Call it an excuse, I call it like it is.

So what about this weekend....and the "mighty" bruins.

UCLA at Texas
When I look at this match up, 3 key things stand out to me:
1. I truly believe Texas matches up much better with UCLA than they did with BYU. 
2. I have no idea where or how this team (Texas) is going to manufacture points.
3. Although UCAL hasn't put a full game together yet either, I have far more confidence in the Bruins being able to put it all together and play a complete game than I do in Texas' ability to do that - they have more experience and many areas, better players (especially at quarterback).

There is one silver lining in this game that will anchor any chances Texas may have at pulling an upset here and that's on the defensive line. UCLA's offensive line is mediocre at best. And I still contend that when it's all said and done, this Texas front 7 is and will be one of the best in the country. Say what you will about every other position group, the line and linebackers are top notch and many of them will be playing on Sundays. If they can get consistent pressure on Hundley and keep him from getting comfortable in the pocket, that will be where the chances will come from. BUT, they absolutely, positively cannot break containment. If I'm Hundley, I'm looking at what Hill from BYU did running the ball and I'm salivating. Hundley is a great runner and you'll see him make some plays, but Texas has to keep tabs on him. None of this 30-yard runs for TDs kind of bullshit.

Offensively? Rrriiiight. I don't know what to think about this UCLA defense: Against Virginia they scored 3 defensive touchdowns. Against Memphis (at home), they gave up 469 total yards and the second half was a draw. But again, let's not forget, this is college and getting 18-22 year olds pumped up for games against Memphis NOT on television is tough to do. Getting them pumped up for Jerry World games on prime time....not so much.

At the end of the day, for Texas, this game comes down to playing 4 complete quarters, playing with pride and intensity, and never giving up. I'd like to think we will see a vast improvement from last week, including opening up the play book a little bit more for Tyrone Swoopes. Let him loose - what's the worst that can happen?

I do believe UCLA fans are quite worried about this game and the potential of dashing their playoff hopes (which is not true, even if Texas wins). AND, I believe Texas has a chance to pull the upset...I just don't think they will. At the end of the day, until I see this team manufacture some points and sustain drives, I won't believe they can be effective at it.

UCLA - 26
Texas - 12

Other Notables Around the College Football Landscape
  • I'm not the smartest guy in the world of college football, but I know enough to know not to touch the S. Carolina/Georgia game. Given everything we know about both teams this year and in past years, isn't this the type of game that the Gamecocks would win....and Bulldogs would lose? If I'm Vegas this weekend (pay attention Yukon Cornelius), and I've got a couple of greyhounds in me, I'm laying $100 or so on the money line and taking the Old Ball Coach.
  • I know SEC fans are tired of Bob Stoops (I, for one, am not), but this Tennessee game will not be close. Don't be scared by the line - OU will win this game by 30+ points and continue their dominance over the SEC (and in turn, continue his jabs). 
  • I'm sorry, but if the Big 5 conferences are going to get to "set their own rules", I would hope that they would grow a pair of balls and set some standards in scheduling. Lamar, Kent State, Nichol State, College of Charleston, Citadel, Northwestern State, McNeese State...these are all teams that NO ONE in one of the Big 5 should be playing. 
  • My insistence on Michigan State upsetting Oregon looked great for about 3 quarters. I was SHOCKED to see MSU get taken to the woodshed in the fourth quarter - a quarter they typically own. Oregon is a good team. 
  • UPSET ALERT: East Carolina over Va Tech in Blacksburg. 
NFL
Those of you that listen to the podcast and generally know me know how much I LOOOOVE the NFL and everything about it. I cannot express how happy it makes me to have the NFL playing on Sunday afternoons. Every year I love it more and more and we're going on about 4 years now where my enjoyment for the pros has exceeded that of college. Mainly because every game is good. Well, almost every game. With that said....

Goodell has to go....
I'm not going to rehash the whole Ray Rice thing because Lord knows you've been inundated with it, but can you recall a bigger circus? This single event has exposed a disturbing level of arrogance, inconsistency, and dare I say incompetence. Now we wait for the sponsors (who are scared as hell too by the way...who WANTS to leave the NFL? No one) to start coming out one by one. We're going to see critical mass start to build here folks. I think what's most disturbing about this is clearly how little the NFL, Roger Goodell, anyone, seems to care or worry about domestic violence. I mean, it's ridiculous. If I'm one of those groups that helped Goodell and the League draft the "Domestic Violence Policy" just a few weeks ago, I'm looking at him like he's a lying, incompetent buffoon.

And now we have the Adrian Peterson issue that just broke late Friday where he allegedly beat his son with a "switch". On one hand, I say, and.... But on the other hand, I am hearing there are some disturbing pictures that show MUCH more than just a spanking. Then you throw in the Greg Hardy situation and you've got a shit storm on your hands. 30 days....Goodell is forced to step down within 30 days. That's my take. Now, on to the games.
  • Don't worry Packers fans - you'll be fine. 
  • I'm predicting a pretty bad fantasy year for Andre's Johnson this year (sigh). 
  • Speaking of fantasy, between Ray Rice and what I'm sure will be Adrian Peterson's suspensions - that's going to throw a wrench into some teams this year. Glad I have neither. 
  • One more thing on Ray Rice and Goodell - this idiot's botching of this is all of a sudden making Rice (in some demented ways) look like a f'ng victim. My gosh. And someone needs to get his wife away from him (faaaar away) so she can understand this shit isn't normal, nor is it typically a one-time incident. (heavier sigh). 
  • It's way early, injuries haven't started to mount and we don't know what a lot of these teams are made of....but I feel safe saying Seattle has to be a top pick to go to the Super Bowl again. 
  • 2 Teams that will improve the most from last year: Atlanta and Houston.
  • 2 Teams that will decline the most from last year: Kansas City and St. Louis.
  • 2 Surprise playoff teams this year: Houston and Miami.  
  • For you Dallas fans out there - what in the world do you have to look forward to in the coming 1-3 years?
Non-Sports Thoughts for the Week
  • I wonder if we will have another President anytime soon that will not be a complete train wreck. 
  • I'm not sure if these stupid political ads a reflection on the ignorance and arrogance of the candidates, or on the people who vote them in. (Really heavy sigh). 
  • Dear People who have a hard on for "going to war to wipe out ISIS": what exactly do you think is going to happen? Based on everything you know about the decade-long extravaganza in Iraq, what would you say we do? Lob bombs and missiles? Ok, where? I think these assholes WANT to pull us into another ground war because they know, above all else, the last 2-front, decade-long war so grossly depleted our resources (and economy) that it's a real issue - and getting the US pulled into another long, drawn-out battle will only further deplete those resources (which by the way is one of our greatest advantages over most other nations). I don't like those assholes anymore than anyone else - but hear and understand this: THERE IS NO WAR TO BE WON IN THE MIDDLE EAST. THERE IS NO VISION OR REALITY OF "VICTORY". 
  •   You people and your love affair with your new iphones is funny....
  • STOP FUCKING WITH YOUR PHONES WHEN YOU ARE DRIVING
Enjoy the "fall-like" weekend folks. It's a great day for chili, beer, football and maybe some illegal gambling. 
 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home