Friday, October 25, 2013

A Tale of Two Teams

So Mack, which will it be???

After coming off one of the arguably worst bye weeks in the history of bye weeks, Texas goes "on the road" right back up I-35 to rich Dallas land (uh-hum, Fort Worth) to take on a weirdly scary TCU team who's had some identity issues to say the least.

I didn't blog last week mainly because I wasn't positive what I saw really happened and I didn't want to wake up from that dream. Yes, that's what it's come to: playing GREAT against your arch rival and completely dominating them without Colt McCoy or Vince Young under center. Yes...it felt really, really good. I'm not going to lament on this, don't worry, but let me just say this: it feels really, really good to know that Texas came out of that game with a 16-point victory...and knowing the score wasn't indicative to how badly Texas dominated them. But enough of this ruckus, that was 2 weeks ago....onward and upward.

Texas at TCU
Let me be 10000% clear - I am NOT drinking the UT kool-aid just because of that OU win. That was a great game plan and execution and they were well-prepared..I'll give them that all day long. But if you're going on the body of work, I see one good game and 2 really BAD games and a couple of mediocre games. Tell me, what would you think? As far as Texas, more than anything, I'll be looking at body language, intensity and execution within the first 5 minutes.

As far as TCU goes - I'm a Gary Patterson fan, and think he's a great coach. But I just feel this team is lacking in talent this year more so than in recent years. Two things that give TCU a boost (sort of):
1) Pachall is back from that gruesome injury in week 2 I believe it was (broken forearm). He brings another dimension and, presumably, more experience and consistency. BUT....he has missed numerous games...and I think saying he may be a headcase after dismissal, reassignment, injury, back into action over the last year. We'll see.
2) TCU evidently has a new play caller as of the second half of their last game against OSU. Not sure if this is a big positive or not, but I do know this - TCU ranks VERY low in offensive production and efficiency. It's not a pretty offense. Pachall affect, and new play calling may give them a little added wrinkle to catch Texas off guard.

At the end of the day this comes down to a couple of things: a) Texas HAS to be coming in with more confidence after being shit on and then demolishing OU; b) but will they be overconfident and revert back to "entitlement" stage?; c) Texas simply has better athletes - TCU is down this year and Texas has the talent and depth they've been looking to for 2 years; d) I'm just not sure the 2 points on TCU above will make up for sheer talent discrepancy; and finally e) Patterson's ability to get his team up for one, single, big game scares me to death (see game in Norman).

I'm taking Texas in a game that they just need to play disciplined and win - at this point for this Texas team, style points are meaningless. Just. Freaking. Win.

Texas - 23
TCU - 17

Texas Tech at Oklahoma
So there have been 2 distinct games this year with Tech (their last 2 I believe) where I have said, "this is where Tech usually blows a tough road game, or home game, that they shouldn't". And they haven't done it. Normally, this would be a game where I would be saying, they aren't going to win, they shouldn't expect to win, just hope for a good/close game. But not this time.

I'm giving Kingsbury a ton of credit here - he seems to be able to have these guys buying into the "one game at a time" mentality very well. Granted, it's easier when no one is watching you from the start, and expectations are low, but still - give him credit.

Let's be honest, OU is down this year talent-wise, and the losses to their defensive front seven have been decimating - the lack of experienced depth is evident. I'm not knocking it, but it is what it is. With that said, as a Texas fan I'm still relishing in that win and Tech should approach a potential win in the same vane it would have any other year. OU is tough in Norman, no doubt, but Tech has won here before and I think they'll win here again.

One note on Tech - things get MUCH tougher from here on out. Whereas the Big 12 is NOT top heavy this year - there are like 5-6 teams that are pretty tough (at least from an in-conference perspective), and Tech is about to face them all back-to-back-to-back. Big 12 is going to get real fun over these next 5-6 weeks (Baylor, OU, Tech, Texas, Okie State all still play each other with exception to OU and Texas). That will be some fun watching. But I digress - give me Tech.

Texas Tech -37
OU - 28

Missouri at South Carolina
I'm tired of trying to figure out the SEC this year. Sure, what the hell, give me Missouri. It's at Mizzou and evidently the backup QB doesn't seem to be an issue. The Tigers have to be approaching this like - if we win this, we're going to Atlanta to play Bama (probably). Why the hell not - let's see it.

Missouri - 27
South Carolina - 23

UCLA at Oregon
I'm just not feeling it - as deep as the Pac 12 appears to be this year, I just think it's Oregon and Stanford and then a bunch of tier 2, really good schools. I wouldn't be shocked if UCLA narrowly won this - and I wouldn't be shocked if Oregon pummeled them. I don't see an in between.

Oregon - 41
UCLA - 27

Other Random CFB Thoughts
  • Last year had our first freshman Heisman winner.....could this year be back-to-back? It's way early, but that Winston kid in Tallahassee is damn good. I mean DAMN good. 
  • Say what you will about Louisville's last 2 games - Bridgewater won't be sweating it when he's getting picked in the draft before EVERYONE else. 
  • It's weird how when I'm watching A&M lose at home I catch myself subconsciously smiling....
  • On a sidenote - if I'm Manziel, I'm thinking very hard about sitting out till the bowl game: you've got the NFL draft that (I'm assuming) you'll be going into; you're not going to win your division; you're going to a bowl game - I'm just saying....
  •  Mandel has Iowa State upsetting Okie State - God help the Big 12 if that happens
  • One more thing on Aggie Fan - look, you guys left the Big 12 and went to the SEC...and it seems to be working out for you for now. Enjoy that. I know Auburn just ruined your day a little bit, but you're an Aggie....you should be used to stuff like that. Here's the deal - Texas fans DO NOT care about A&M, the SEC, the missed rivalry, whatever. We've literally got bigger things going on like the future of the damn program. Let's please not come onto campus with spray paint - aren't we beyond that? I mean...this is just embarrassing.
Non-Sports Thought for the Week
Man, this Government can kick the can down the road with the best of them, can't they? I look forward to doing this all over again in a couple of months guys - see you then. 

That's what I got - you guys have a great weekend! 

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for the good read, but is that YOU or Allan with the Tech pick?

5:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home