Sunday, September 08, 2013

New Low

I'm so f'ng pissed I'm actually writing this at 11:55pm Saturday night. This was a new low. Certainly not the worst score loss, but arguably one of the more embarrassing performances start to finish in a long, long team.

I heard this tonight and I think it hit the nail on the head: one of these teams wanted to be playing football tonight and the other didn't. It's clear Texas STILL has this sense of false entitlement. "We're Texas, we should be winning...". Seiders threw the worst loss since the 66-3 game against UCLA - I'll argue this was worse in terms of complete game performance. There are literally ZERO positives coming out of this game. Not one.

The same problems that plagued this team last year reared their ugly head tonight in a big, big way. Something needs to change now (and I assure it will). But more troublesome (or maybe just disappointing), was the glaring offensive issues that few saw coming. I cannot comprehend what the game plan was, especially the second half. I love Major and like the thought of him bringing a new attitude, but this was a ridiculous offensive performance. YOU AREN'T GOOD ENOUGH TO RUN THE BALL. YOU'RE NOT! YOU DON'T HAVE THE LINE! WHY DO YOU KEEP DOING IT???? Why do we continue to run the ball, even when we're down by 16 in the second half.

They targeted Mike Davis 5 times. He caught 3 and 2 were for TDs. They COULD NOT cover him. 5 f'ng times???!!! Why not 15??? Horrible offensive game plan. Horrible. No adjustments. Clearly no analysis at halftime. My aneurysm  occurred on 4th and 2 when they brought in Overstreet to run the play that everyone in the free world KNEW was coming!! So many ridiculous plays tonight.

It's so early and this may sound crazy, but here are my short-, medium- and long-term predictions...
  • As the night goes on my percentages go up - right now I'm saying at least a 65% chance that Manny Diaz is gone before the Ole Miss game and either Akina or Robinson are the interim D-Coordinators. Probably Greg Robinson. Manny had a horrible defense last year. They gave him a year, healthy players and an opportunity to fix the issues. They were glaring to say the least. I'm sure you saw that stat that the 4 games where Texas has given up the most yards were tonight and 3 games last year. All Manny. He's gone. 
  • It wasn't the loss to BYU, but the way they lost which leads me to this - the ONLY chance Mack has to not be forced out is to win the Big 12 and win a BCS bowl game. Tell me who amongst you sees any chance of this happening. 
  • The house needs to be cleaned - at the end of the day, we can talk about Manny and Major, but the same shit that kills us is still killing us: this team lacks the mentality of a physical, accountable team that responds to the challenge. They're a bunch of world-class athletes who have absolutely no clue how to respond to getting punched in the mouth - and they sure as hell haven't been taught that. Point being, until Mack is gone, this will be the norm. 
  • With that above statement said, I can't imagine there's anyone in his corner right now. That corner has been dwindling over the last 2 years (especially with those OU debacles). Unless they can win out, or win 10 games (HAVE to be at OU) and win the conference, he won't have anyone in his corner. 
  • And let's not forget Dodds' contract is up after this year. He ain't swimming in support either. This is more than just the football program - look at the major sports' teams over last 3 years and the decline. A change is needed - sometimes you have to make a change to spark something new. Mack said he wants to be coaching until 2020? Won't happen...at least not at Texas. 
As the title states, this was a new low. One word: discombobulated. It's the only way I can say about this staff and team. 

2 Comments:

Anonymous Alan Vassberg said...

Can't agree with you more, Ryan. After thew New Mexico State game, I felt like "ok, a few things to clean up, but this looks like a 10-win team." Last night, the team regressed. It didn't even look like the team from last year—it looked like the 5-7 version from 2010.

I've been a Mack Brown supporter through most of this downturn—I remember all too well what the team was like before he got here. But this year is proof that Texas needs to do something different. To your point, the only way that Mack should keep his job is if he somehow manages to win the Big 12.

This is a game that I pin 100% on the coaches. Texas was poorly prepared, poorly motivated, and neither offense nor defense adjusted to what BYU threw at us. I'm disgusted.

9:08 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Horns give up most yards EVER on the ground. I'm glad I'm a BRUIN. Good luck with THAT.

10:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home