Saturday, September 29, 2012

Saturday Quick Hits

I'm late getting this out (inching closer to halftime in this crazy Baylor/WVU game), so I'm hitting a rapid-fire edition here as we've got some ball games going.....and don't forget to check out the podcast, recorded last night.

http://wisdomofthewannabes.blogspot.com/2012/09/its-conference-time-for-tech-and-ut-and.html

Let's get to it....
  • I said this last night, "Aggies, you had better win this game..." - so far so good. I was a little critical of this hire, but I think Sumlin has a good thing going here. Really needs to come out here with a strong second half and put this team away. First thing Sumlin needs to shake the second-half collapse issues and I think he will. Manziel is for real. That kid can ball. Anxious to see how they handle LSU defense later this season. 
  • Tough game for Stanford, proving that it doesn't matter what happens one week because you never know the type of team lurking around the corner. I've said it before and I'll keep saying it - when you're talking about 19-21 year olds, you're not going to necessarily get consistency. I would still say Stanford is a tough, dangerous team, they don't all of a sudden suck now because they dropped some balls and gave up, literally about 3 big plays in that game.
  • If I'm in Vegas, I'm taking Texas and the points......H-E-A-V-Y. Line is what, 3 now? I don't think it's going to be a 30-point barrage or anything, but 10-12 points, yes. Either way, more than 3. 
  • Speaking of Texas/OSU - I want you Texas fans out there to take a breath and just accept this: it's not completely inconceivable that Texas could lose this game. High-powered offense against a defense missing 2 key defensive starters, and coming off of a game where a bad offense shredded you...I'm not saying, I'm just saying. I don't think OSU WILL win, I just think they certainly could win and it wouldn't be shocking. It's realistic. 
  • Offensively I'm optimistic - the difference in this game, in my opinion, will be the Texas running game. Control the clock, keep the OSU offense off the field, take the crowd out of it - do that and this game may be close, but never in doubt. Will be interesting to see how OSU lines up in the box - they may hesitate to just blatantly stack the box given how well Ash has been playing (no turnovers, 70% completion). 
  • Of course, this all comes down to how well Texas handles the environment and the initial rush - you know OSU will come out with their ears pinned back. Here's hoping HarsinWhite pulls a screen out on the first offensive play. 
  • I love Leach, but man that Oregon game could get UGLY...
  • Man, the Big 10 is still a mess, no? You've got Penn State and Ohio State unable to play in the south division (is that what they call it? I think it's something pretty lame) leaving Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin and Purdue to duke it out - all of whom certainly have flaws. Don't sleep on Purdue...why not? Meanwhile, the north division has two 4-0 teams (Minnesota and Northwestern), two 3-1 teams (Nebraska and MSU), and two 2-2 teams (Michigan and Iowa). You tell me - who's coming out of this conference? 
  • Speaking of, give me Ohio State today...barely. 
  • Oh and I guess I should give a Texas score prediction: 37-24 Texas. 
  • For a team coming off of a tough couple of years and with modest expectations - this is a BIG game for the Red Raiders, going to Iowa State. They've been playing quite well - arguably better than all of last year, they get a respectable Cyclones team on the road with OU coming to town next weekend. THAT will be a big game, but only if they can maintain pace this weekend. Opportunity for Tech to make some noise heading into a brutal stretch of their schedule. 
  • Alabama may put 50 points on Ole Miss today. 
That's what I got gang - enjoy the Saturday. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home