Thursday, December 03, 2009

Turn Around...

Every now and then I fall apart....

Well friends, the end to another college football season is nigh and boy should it be a hum-dinger of a weekend. If I'm not mistaken, we've got a triple header on ABC this weekend starting with Cincy at Pitt, followed by Zona at USC, with the Big 12 championship closing out the night. The good news is during that meaningless Trojan/Wildcat game, you can switch over to CBS and catch that little ruckus between Bama and Florida.

I'm tired so let's jump right in...

In case you're feeling just a little too cocky, Texas fans, just think back to the Chris Simms disaster against Colorado, which seems like a lifetime ago. The point is, stay focused on this game - something tells me the Huskers will come in inspired. They don't have the talent to hang with the Horns for 4 quarters, but that doesn't mean they can't nut out a win.

I mentioned this before, but this will be like a 180 degree from the Aggie game - the Huskers have a VERY tough and physical defense with a JV-type offense. Zac Lee simply hasn't panned out as they would have liked. He's had some good games, but he's an average QB at best. I imagine Muschamp will have his crew ready to play like mad men after that performance in College Station last week. He'll want to prove something, trust me.

Meanwhile, this offensive line is going to have to come up with a pretty damn good game plan to slow down that beast known as Ndamukong Suh. Don't be surprised to see the Horns run a lot of plays away from his side of the line - quarterback draws and misdirections are a must with a player like that clogging the line. He'll make A LOT of money playing on Sundays next year - he could be the number one pick. Seriously.

At the end of the day, I can see this game being close for a bit, but I just don't think Nebraska has the offensive weapons to score enough points and I'd venture to bet that the Horns will be able to generate some points off turnovers and/or special teams.

Texas - 27
Nebraska - 9

I don't know, flip a coin. That's my take on the Florida/Bama game. When you have teams that are as evenly matched as these two are, you have to first look at quarterback play and I think it's safe to say that Florida gets the edge in that one. McElroy has been efficient in keeping the chains moving, but he simply can't make the plays that Tebow can.

Here's the wrinkle in this game - Carlos Dunlap, arguably Florida's best defensive player and the league's best pass rusher, is out after doing his best Robert Downey Jr. impression over this past weekend. That's going to hurt. Florida is giving up twice as many sacks as Bama which is a concern as it is, but with Dunlap out, that could really swing the defensive advantage to Bama's side.

This game feels a hell of a lot like last year's game to be perfectly honest with you, and both teams have had their fair share of close calls this year. I want Florida to win because I want Texas to beat the big, bad Gators and knock them off their perch in their final hoorah game - kind of like what we saw in the Rose Bowl 4 years ago. BUT, I just have this feeling that Bama is going to slow down Florida just enough to get a fumble or pick here or there and kick a late field goal to win it.

Alabama - 23
Florida - 21

Other College Football Notes...
  • How in the world did only one Longhorn get first team defense, all Big 12? That's absurd.
  • But not as absurd as Aaron Williams NOT EVEN GETTING HONORABLE MENTION???!!! WHAT???? That's insane.
  • Too bad things had to end this way for Bowden - he loved coaching and he was damn good at it. Great, great career.
  • Crazy, weird, tacky ending to the Mark Mangino era at Kansas. The sad/weird thing is - he took them to just as many bowl games in his time, as they had the previous 100 years....and that includes a Sugar Bowl victory over a very talented Virginia Tech team.
  • When are you going to learn, Ohio State (and Big 10)? They played 2 weeks ago and won't play until the Rose Bowl. I don't care who they play (Oregon or Oregon State...to be determined tonight), they won't win. I just don't see it happening.
  • I want to pick Pitt to upset Cincy this weekend, but I trust the Panthers about as much as I trust politicians.
  • Did I see that the Gators are favored by 6? Wow. Way too high.
  • One thing I always love about the overlap of the college and NFL game is that when the college regular season ends, you jump right into the heart of the NFL playoff battle.
In lieu of my usual NFL section, I've got a special section just for one, Chad Seiders...
Vince Young is the best NFL quarterback I've ever seen. There's not a throw he can't make. He's the best leader on any team and he's the sole reason that they have turned things around. They should probably go ahead and start getting him ready for the hall of fame because after he takes the Titans to a couple of super bowl victories over the next few years...he'll go out and win another. You can take Peyton Manning or Drew Brees, but give me VY. I mean, have you seen the last 5 games? Forget about it. After he destroys Manning and the Colts this weekend in Indy, they should probably start putting him in the MVP discussions. I mean hell, I want to have his children.

That's what I got gang - enjoy the great snow storm of '09.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Chad said...

Ryan,
Glad to see VY has finally won you over! I guess taking an 0-6 team to 5-6, having a career record as a starter of 23-11, and winning Rookie of the Year was enough for you after all. Here's to Vince in Hall of Fame!
Chad

11:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home