Monday, January 05, 2009

Fiesta Fever

First off, let me just say Happy New Year to everyone out there - hope you had a great holiday season.

Now, I don't know about you guys, but I don't have it (Fiesta Fever that is). I'll be honest and get this out there right off the bat - I've given this game very little thought over the past 2 weeks and frankly put, I'm having a hard time getting pumped up about it. Why you may ask? Because other than being another talking point in an endless debate, it means absolutely nothing. Don't get me wrong, of course I want Texas to win and will be routing for them to win, but at the end of the day, I could really care less what the final polls say after Thursday's game because we all know they will be bunk.

I guess you could say this year has been a bit of an anomaly for this ranter given the fact that I've watched very little (relatively speaking of course) of this year's bowl games. Maybe I'm getting old, but I just don't care as much - especially when every single one of these games is nothing more than a meaningless exhibition game. I'm sure the players love it and it's great that they get to take part in the experience, but how can anyone get excited when a 6-6 or 7-5 team is playing in a bowl game. Case in point: Notre Dame vs. Hawaii. Really? These two teams deserve to be playing in a post-season game? But I digress...
Texas vs. Ohio State:
I know I just got done saying this is a meaningless game and it really is. BUT, in the court of public and media opinion (which is really the only thing that makes up college football), Texas HAS to win this game..and win it convincingly. Think about how much Ohio State has taken a beating over the past couple of years for falling ass backwards into the title game and then getting hammered. They have literally been the BCS punching bag over the past 2 years which is why this is such a huge game for these Buckeyes. A big win over this Texas team (a team that many think should be playing on Thursday) and they will go a long way in restoring their reputation and image.

Meanwhile, you can't help but to wonder how much Texas may still be feeling "screwed over" and as such, sulking. We see this happen year in and year out - "less talented" teams come in and upset the big, bad favorites simply because they want it more and they are genuinely excited to be where they are. That is my primary concern as a Texas fan: where are the players' heads coming into this match up? On the bright side, Texas has played very well in their past few bowl games and have seemingly been more and better prepared than in earlier Brown-coached bowl teams. So we've got that going for us...which is nice.

When it comes down to it, Texas will have to get somewhat creative against the Ohio State defense as this is the big strength for the Buckeyes. I think Texas has the athletes to counter the Buckeye front seven, which is where their true defensive strength lies. Running the ball certainly won't be easy - I think this is going to have to be a game where you use the pass to set up the run. And don't be shocked to see Colt lead the team in rushing again this game as I can see him racking up a ton of yards on broken plays. The good news is he's become quite familiar and comfortable in running for his life.

On the defensive side of the ball for Texas, my thinking is that stopping Beanie Wells is the number one priority. I know Pryor is talented, but he's still a freshman and I'm not as worried about him picking this Texas defense apart. He'll likely make a few big plays, but he's not the one who's going to beat them. If Wells can control the ball and the clock like we know he's capable of doing than the Horns will be in trouble. I imagine Tressell is wanting to keep Colt and company off the field as much as possible and what better way than to ride your all-world running back. I'm anxious to see what Muschamp is able to pull together with so much time to prepare - I'm thinking he'll be able to give Pryor fits with his blitz schemes. We shall see.

In closing I'll say this one more time - Texas, you had better win this game. You don't want to be the powerhouse team that loses to the "over rated" Ohio State Buckeyes. I think they will and I think they'll be ready to play, and with a chip on their shoulder too. Between the new and improved Mack Brown and Will Muschamp, I can't see this team coming in flat and uninspired.

Texas - 45
Ohio State - 20

Other Random Observations from Bowl Week:
  • And the winner of the Dennis Green "They Are Who We Thought They Were" award goes to none other than our friends in the panhandle, Texas Tech. I don't want to slight these guys too much because I think Ole Miss is a pretty damn good team, but other than a few big plays in the first quarter, the Red Raiders were uninspired in this one. I get no pleasure from saying this, I really don't, but how good is Tech really? They had one really significant win this year that came at home against an exhausted and burned out Texas team that was just finishing up a brutal gauntlet. We know Harrell is gone, but if I'm Crabtree, I'm bolting too to take the money. Tech's regression next year will be something astonishing.
  • Not sure how many of you actually watched Notre Dame vs. Hawaii, but did you see Clausen talking trash to the fans towards the end of the game? Really? You were playing in the Aloha Bowl (or whatever the hell it's called) against a .500 team. I would say act like you've been there before, but you haven't even sniffed a bowl game so I'll give you that. Clausen is mediocre at best. At best.
  • What more does Utah have to do? Seriously. They beat BYU, TCU, Oregon State, and an Alabama team that was ranked #1 longer than anyone else. I gave you my theory on how the mid majors can shake up this BCS thing and if this keeps happening it just may happen. For all of you out there who still insist that Utah isn't that good, go look at USC's schedule and tell me who had the tougher schedule of the two teams. I think Utah can play with any team in the country. They manhandled Bama. Oh and by the way, this is the second year when Utah has gone undefeated since the inception of the BCS.
  • What do Boise State, Auburn and Utah have in common? All teams that have gone undefeated, but did not get a shot to play for a national title.
  • Best game I've seen this bowl season: TCU vs. Boise State. Great game. Great defensive battle.
  • I wonder how many bowl games lost money this year? I bet it's more than you might think.
    And rightfully so as this year has been a pretty bad year for bowl games. The Orange bowl had 2 teams that aren't even close to the top 10. The Rose Bowl was a joke - I know deep down we all wanted a tough game there and we even kidded ourselves into thinking that the Lion defense could contain the USC offense, but that didn't work either. That game was never close. The only "big" game that was halfway entertaining was the Sugar bowl, but honestly, tell me that you were REALLY excited about seeing Alabama and Utah. Right.
  • And finally, you all know how big of a fan I am of Peter King so I'll leave you with this great comment he had about ESPN's promotion and coverage of the Heisman Trophy ceremony, great stuff: "The excessive reverence for the Heisman Trophy by ESPN had me wretching up my pork chop Saturday night. Did Jesus win the Heisman? Moses? Abraham Lincoln?" I couldn't agree more PK. Every year we have to watch this and it's ridiculous. It also doesn't help that it's the biggest joke of an award in any major sport.
Alright, that's what I got folks. I'll be back this week with a recap of the Fiesta Bowl, a preview of the so-called national title bowl and I definitely will hit on the NFL playoffs which are off to a great start. Have a good week back at the grind....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home