Monday, November 10, 2008

Radio Days

Well folks, I didn't see one lick of college football this weekend, but I was able to listen to some of the Texas game and some of the Tech game which was nice. I'm not going to pretend that I know all the ins and outs of this weekend's games, but I thought I would share some of my thoughts as we head into the last few weeks of the season - I'll also give a quick look at this crazy Big 12 south division.

Observations From the Weekend...
  • Great news Penn State fans - you no longer need to concern yourself with getting "screwed over" by the BCS.
  • This Tech/OU game could very well be for all of the marbles in the heisman race.
  • Sounds like that LSU/Bama game was a good one - I don't care if LSU is down this year, it's never easy playing in Baton Rouge.
  • Anyone else out there worried about Texas traveling to Lawrence this weekend? Defense continues to give up large chunks of yards while the offensive line has gone from damn good to inconsistent. I don't know...I'll say it again, just get me to the bye week.
  • Florida, Tech, Oklahoma - who's playing better ball than these guys right now? I say no one. Alabama has the luxury of holding the top spot vs. climbing for it. What can you say about Bama - they just keep winning. I think their run ends with Florida, but maybe not - how happy are the Bama alums/admins with that hire? Texas and USC are still very good, but haven't looked as impressive the last couple of weeks (NO Trojans, your wins over the Washingtons don't count). After that the drop off becomes significant.
  • You know, there's a damn good chance that the Aggies come into Austin on Thanksgiving with a chance to become bowl eligible with a win...I'm just saying.

Big 12 South:
Texas Tech - Daaaaaaaaaaaamn. I couldn't see anything that was going on in this one, but from what I heard it sounded like it was one of those nights when everything went right for the Red Raiders. You think these guys can taste a shot at a national title? I sure do. They get a week before they travel to Norman. Rest is always good, especially this time of year, but I wonder if Tech wouldn't rather keep the machine moving - they've got a ton of momentum and mojo going on right now and I'm betting they would love nothing more than to go ahead and travel to Norman and play this weekend - I promise you this, OU is very thankful they have this week off as banged up as they are. Of the tough games they've played this year, Tech has yet to face a team of the big-time caliber away from Jones Stadium so the game in Norman will be very interesting, but may also prove to be a very good test for these guys. Remember Texas fans, that game in Lubbock was the first "real" away game that Texas had played against upper echelon competition. We shall see...

Oklahoma - Believe it or not I think these guys are just as much in the driver's seat as Texas Tech is. A win in Norman in two weeks, followed by a win in Stillwater the next weekend, and these guys are likely in the Big 12 title game....where they always are. Of course this is up to the computers, voters, etc., but if I'm a betting man this is the scenario I'm envisioning. BUT, those are some big "ifs". OU is pretty banged up as they'll be without their 2 best defensive players against Tech and I can't emphasize enough how important that is - linebacker Ryan Reynolds used to own the middle of the field (where Tech does a good chunk of their damage) and now it looks like they'll be without their leading pass rusher and I don't need to tell you how important that is for any team facing off against Texas Tech. The good news for OU? They've got their offense in tact and should be ready to put up some big numbers of their own. Not only is this a huge game for these two teams, it's also a big game for 2 of the top 3-4 heisman candidates so look out there. I know I can't wait for this one...

Texas - Well, they did what they had to do. Texas quickly jumped out to a 14-0 lead and just like that it was tied at 14. Good news is Texas quickly pulled away from there. Sounded like the Horns did what they needed to do - got a win in dominating fashion and made very few mistakes. I did hear that Colt threw 2 INTs (missed both of them) so that's not good, but obviously didn't make much of a difference. Unfortunately I think Texas is the odd team out in terms of a shot at a conference title. It's possible they could sneak in, but not likely at all. Should the south end in a 3-way tie of 1-loss teams, I imagine they'll give the nod to the Sooners - they lost their game earlier in the season and bulked up their strength of schedule later in the season. So Horns fans, set your expectations now, should they win out, they'll likely get the nod. Don't bitch, don't complain - that's the system and frankly can't argue with it. BUT, these Longhorns are in a nice position to secure an at-large BCS bid. Where this will get interesting is when the mid-majors come into play....that could throw a wrench into things. I digress....Look, this Texas team is pretty banged up right now and I can't imagine there's a team out there that needs an off week quite as bad as these guys do. Just one more game and you'll get your off week my friends. Texas needs to continue to go out and take care of their business - win your games in dominating fashion and I promise you they'll get what they deserve. Kansas is coming off of a drubbing to Nebraska and they still control their own destiny to an extent - if they win out they'll be in the title game. They'll be pumped to take on Texas this coming weekend and so we need just one more week of good, hard practices and a dominant performance. And memo to Colt - settle down dude, I don't like this trend of throwing picks for TDs (Baylor almost returned one of his INTs to the end zone).

Oklahoma State - Buh-bye. Man, I don't remember what asshole proclaimed you guys as the second best team in the south division, but what an idiot he was.....Seriously, it never sounded like these guys got anything going on that Tech game. We'll see what happens when the Sooners come calling on the last game of the year (and it may not matter much at all), but I can't see these guys slowing down Bradford and company. As easy as Tech moved the ball on these guys, OU will likely move it with the same level of ease. Thanks for playing OSU.

That's what I got - I'll be traveling this week, but back at it on Thursday in time for a preview of this weekend's games. Enjoy the week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home