Sunday, November 04, 2007

Still Scratching My Head

How in the world did Texas win that game?? Even the day after I can't quite figure it all out. I will say this, that game had to completely demoralize Oklahoma State - these guys simply can't believe that they can ever beat Texas...no matter what.

Yet again Texas plays a horrendous game and manages to pull out a win. I'm going to keep picking against Texas each week because it seems to ensure a Texas victory. I've said it before and I'll say it again - Texas may be the easiest team in the country to coach against. You know exactly what you're going to get every time and I'm not sure they have any "wrinkles" in their game plan (meaning special trick plays). The one semi-trick play they ran was a reverse....from their own end zone. I'm not sure there's a better example of when NOT to run a reverse.

With that, let's look at the details. Simply put, the defense was pathetic and the offense was....unimaginative - the good old Longhorns, you know exactly what you're going to get each time. I'm dead serious, I'm not sure the defense can stop anyone. I have no idea what Texas ranks nationally in pass defense, but it's got to be in the last quartile - they gave up 430 yards passing...that's a lot. And for crying out loud, STOP TURNING THE BALL OVER!!! I know that 2 of those INTs weren't necessarily on Colt (I still think the refs made a horrible call on that third INT), but at the end of the day, they're still turning it over an average of 2+ times per game. Unacceptable.

At the end of the day, Texas has played 1 or 2 complete games this year and have struggled against some pretty mediocre or poor teams (Arkansas State, Kansas State, Baylor, Central Florida, Nebraska, etc.). Offensive line and the entire defense are the primary areas of concern...and I think they may continue to be for some years. I know Mack doesn't hold his coaches or players accountable for anything, but if I'm in his shoes, I'm putting McDuff and Akina on notice - what ever it is you're doing it's not even coming close to being effective. Do something to fix it or you're gone. I cannot believe Texas is lacking in talented players given the top 5 recruiting classes they have year in and year out. I'm not even worried about losing seniors in the defense - in fact I'm almost happy because they may have better athletes, but as we know, Mack doesn't like to play younger kids regardless of how good they may be.

Sloppy game, but a win is a win. The good news for Texas fans is that the next two opponents have the mental and emotional stability and discipline of a 10 year old....so 4th quarter comebacks are very much in the cards.

LSU over Alabama:
Wow - what a game. Bama fans have to be sick today thinking about what could have been. The only person feeling more sick is the Bama QB. There's absolutely no excuse for a) taking a sack at that point in the game, and more importantly b) fumbling inside your own 15 yard line. Honestly, this game should not have been as close as it was as LSU turned the ball over 3 times (all by Flynn) and had over 100 yards in penalties. Either way, great game and LSU benefited and was moved up to #2 in the rankings. Long way to go, but I still think we'll see the Tigers in the big game.

OU over A&M:
OUCH! Not a good showing by the aggies (not surprising) and Oklahoma sure looked good. They didn't even score until the fourth quarter. Bradford was pretty spectacular yet again. The bad news is the aggies travel to Columbia to face Mizzou next week where the score could be very similar.

Other Saturday Observations:
  • How about those Midshipmen of Navy - GREAT win and even better loss for Notre Dame. I wonder if ND is feeling like they may have jumped the gun a bit - as low as expectations as the AD may have had coming into this year, he couldn't have anticipated this. Good stuff.
  • I gotta think Callahan is fired any day now - unacceptable giving up 76 points to anyone. How did Texas almost lose to these guys?
  • And speaking of "how did Texas lose to these guys" - Kansas State lost to Iowa State. That hurts.
  • Where the hell did UCONN come from??? These guys are steam rolling their conference foes.
  • Write this down - as impressive as Oregon looks (and they do look impressive), they'll end up getting hosed out of the national title game because LSU and OU play conference championship games and if things hold as they are, they will play top 10 teams in those respective conference championship games. Meanwhile, Oregon closes the year against Oregon State. One of those guys will play OSU or each other in the title game - that's what I'm predicting.
  • I wouldn't be surprised to see ASU drop another game in the next couple of weeks. I think Oregon was quite a bit better than they were.
Colts/Patriots:
What a game. I really feel for Manning, I (and I think most of the viewers) thought he was going to take them down for a game winner. Tough way to lose a game. Either way, however you want to look at it, these two teams are VERY close in terms of talent and skill. Patriots won't always commit 150+ yards in penalties, but Reggie Wayne won't always drop 2 perfectly thrown balls totaling close to 85 yards....and Marvin Harrison usually plays. I really think it's these two teams and everyone else. Both of these teams proved they've both improved since last year. Great game.

Other NFL Observations:
  • How in the world do the Titans keep winning? They're like the Longhorns of the NFL - they're record doesn't match their performance.
  • It pains me to say this, but the Titans are winning in spite of Vince Young's performance of late - he's averaging more turnovers than TDs a game right now. I don't know if it's the Madden curse, but his numbers are way down. Good news is they have a killer running game.
  • I think we all knew Adrian Peterson would be a great pro...he probably would have 2 years ago. But damn! Record number for him comes in the 8th week. This guy will have multiple MVPs I believe and he's fun as hell to watch.
  • Is Detroit for real??? I think they just may be.
  • I think I'm throwing in the towel on the Chargers - they are in complete disarray. I still don't think teams WANT to face them, but they are not playing well right now...not at all.
  • I wonder if the Bengals will put Chad Johnson on the trading block after this season...and I wonder if Jerry Jones doesn't give up a first rounder to get him.
That's what I got folks - have a good week and we'll have an update before the weekend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home