Saturday, March 24, 2007

Elite 8

Say what you will about the lack of upsets - this is the up side, we get to see great games with the elite teams. You really couldn't ask for better games this time of year. And it's official - I'm out of the money on my brackets...damnit. Stupid Ohio State killed me.

I think the game of the tournament (and maybe of the last few tournaments) may be the UCLA/Kansas game. Both teams have had some issues in the first half of games, but then turn it on in the second half. Afflalo MUST have a better offensive game than he's had lately. He usually puts up more points than he has been. In one of my brackets I have UCLA going on to win it all and in the other, Kansas. I went into this thinking these were the 2 best teams. But...

I am very impressed with Florida. Sports hacks are searching high and low for a reason to pick against this team every game because they've played a lot of close games. The thing is, they are winning - and they know how to close a game out in the end, regardless of how they've looked all game. I think Horford is going to be a pretty damn good NBAer. I still think it's way too hard to win this thing two straight years, but these guys just may pull it off. I do think their inside game will be too much and will get the Ducks in foul trouble. I think it's a close game with UF pulling away late in the second half. If Oregon doesn't hit their 3s they'll get blown out of the gym.

I've got to eat a little crow today - I was certain that Georgetown would easily handle Vandy. Not only did that not happen, I think Jeff Green got away with a walk there on that last shot. It was a great shot though. Great ending to the game and good tough win for Georgetown. Can't wait to see the inside battle between G'town and UNC on Sunday - that should be one hell of a battle. I picked Georgetown in the finals and I'm sticking with that.

I'm going Memphis over Ohio State today - This will be the most disciplined and organized team they've played in the tournament. Will be interesting to see how they handle Oden.

I"ve got no clue on the KU/UCLA game, but in the interest of making a call I'm going with the Bruins in a close game - 3 points or less.

NBA Notes:

Alright, I can no longer NOT hit on this. Kobe Freaking Bryant! I know, I know, a lot of people hate this guy for one reason or another, but let's examine this guy over the last couple of years. So after the Shaq/Kobe implosion people turned on this guy - much of it definitely justified. So after a year and a half or so of the "selfish Kobe" chatter, he starts to play more sefless basketball and they go on a nice run to end last year, but the truth is the Lakers are 85% Kobe and 15% everyone else. At least. So in the last 6 weeks after the All-star game (and leading up to the game) they had a few HORRIBLE losing streaks - on the road and at home. So in the last 4 games, he's put up over 200 points and low and behold, they've won all 4 games. Look, this guy will always take heat for many reasons, some justified and some not. But this guy is, without question, the best player in the league. I'm talking complete player. He's on the all defensive team every year. He can score from anywhere on the floor, when ever he wants to. Simply put, he can carry a team all by himself - he's done it the last 2 years with what will probably be 2 consecutive playoff runs.

Don't get me wrong, they aren't going to win the whole thing. Hell, they probably won't win a series, but they'll be there - especially if Kobe continues to carry this team. So say what you will, but remember this - he's done something that no one else except Wilt Chamberlain has ever done, not even MJ. The fact that he's not in the MVP discussion right now is beyond ridiculous - he should have shared it with Dirk last year and he probably should be sharing it with Dirk/Nash again this year.

I will say this, the Lakers are 1 consistent scorer and 1 lock down defender from being in the discussion.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home