Monday, January 29, 2007

Football Withdrawl

First weekend with no real football to speak of - man I was almost freaking out!!!

Here's a million dollar question for you - who would you rather be, President W having to give that State of the Union last week or Jack Bauer's brother at the end of last week's episode? It's a toss up.

Here are some of my observations and thoughts from last week's sports world:
- I watched the Suns/Cavs game on Sunday and man, Phoenix is sooo good...and fun to watch I might add. I was pretty high on San Antonio at the beginning of the season (who happened to luck one out against my lakers yesterday), but I honestly don't think the Spurs have a chance against the Mavs or Suns come May and playoff time. The Suns and Mavs have too much depth and they are younger which will help with longevity.

- And speaking of my Lakers, they get Lamar Odom back and drop 2 straight (one of those to the Charlotte Hornets for crying out loud). Although this team is much improved and (seemingly at times) getting better, they're just not quite there yet. I do think that come playoff time they will be secure in the 5th position (they are currently in the 5 spot). That doesn't mean I'm picking them to run all the way through, but that would be an improvement from last year. I also predict that the crazy seeding process will bite someone in the ass this year - it may be those Lakers as they hover between the 4 and 6 spots.

- It's a long way off and they just dropped a heartbreaker to Stanford last night, but my early pick for college basketball's national champions is the UCLA Bruins. This is a veteran team that is so complete - and they play defense which is a general cardinal sin in the Pac 10.

- After dropping 2 straight, the longhorns managed to squeak out a couple of wins last week - against the powerhouses of Nebraska and Baylor. The good news AND bad news (I guess) is that they were losing both games and managed to get the wins - learning to win tight games is a good thing. Unfortunately, those 2 teams made up, what will most likely be, the 2 softest opponents they will face for the remainder of the year. A win is a win, but the competition is about to get VERY good very quick. Given that this team plays A LOT of freshman, I think we may be seeing a midseason "wall" that these guys are hitting. Barnes is usually very good about getting his guys to play through this kind of stuff - we'll see...

- By the way, the Big 12 is very solid this year (unlike in football). Tech is coming up and making some big-time noise after knocking off Kansas and the Aggies (nevermind the Mizzou game). We'll see if they can keep that going, but those wins are GREAT for that team...and for our conference.

- You gotta love how unselfish of a player Kevin Durant is. BUT, as good as he is, he really NEEDS to demand the ball more - that's what elite players do. He didn't touch the ball in the last 4 minutes of the Nebraska game. As good as he is, Texas needs him to score 26+ a game. We saw him single-handily take over the Okie State game (and no, I don't care if you don't like me saying Okie State) and the Baylor game. No, it wasn't a misprint, he had 26 points in the second half of the Baylor game.

- Unfortunately, Barbaro lost a long battle this week and was euthanized. That's never cool, but you gotta like how much everyone did to save that horse. Pretty cool story, unfortunately one with a bad ending.

- Unless you work for SI and get free tickets to shit like this you probably didn't notice that the NHL all star game was last week - in fact, I doubt anyone living south of Michigan, Minnesota and Wisconsin knew it. Quick, someone tell me which team has the best record in each conference. And since I'm talking about hockey I will take this chance to remind everyone how mindless and stupid the points system is in the game - but not quite as mindless and stupid as the 6 hockey fans I know who try and tell me why it's a good system. You have wins and you have losses, why in the world would you put some asinine point system on top of that???

- Here's the next popular bet to place - what will be the next event that Tiger Woods enters and LOSES??!! Was there anyone who thought for a second that Tiger was going to lose that match yesterday?

- And finally, my non-sports take for the weekend: Finally got to see Little Miss Sunshine yesterday - great movie. The grandfather and the horn on their beetle van had me rolling laughing.

What To Watch This Week
Monday - 24. I mean, c'mon.

Wednesday - Texas at Texas Tech. Tech is playing pretty hot of late and Texas REALLY needs a big road win like this. The Horns follow up this game with Kstate at home and then a trip to Aggieland next Monday.

Thursday - Oregon at UCLA. Look for the Bruins to hammer the Ducks here. This one may not be televised so suck it up and go to a bar to catch it. It's a late one (9:30pm tip), but just pretend you're back in college and doing your usual Thursday night stint.

Sunday - The last football game you'll watch for a long LONG time. And no, I'm not counting Arena or European league games.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home