Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Week 2 (Already?) Preview

Weird, short week - but hey, it's already the weekend and I still can't figure out how. First and foremost I'm happy to report we had a very successful first official day of pre-school....so it's all coming together. T-minus 7 days until daddy is running solo with Ella (for 10 days)....

I have to make a retraction/admit over zealousness (if that's a word). I took a close look at UTEP's first game against Buffalo (no, not the Bills)....and they are not good. Not good at all. That was one of those games (Tx vs. UTEP) that looked "good" on paper. Not sure when they scheduled this game, but I do know Price had a year/year and a half of unexpected success. Either way, they got drilled by an extremely irrelevant team - Buffalo University. A few highlights:
- UTEP gave up 484 yards of offense (200+ in both rushing/passing)
- Buffalo converted 70% of their third downs
- Buffalo averaged over 7 yards/play
- Etc., etc., etc.

Sooo, we could argue that the late kickoff may cause some early, sluggish play. And you know you're going to get their best shot - it's their big shot at a big-time upset. It really doesn't matter, Texas should absolutely crush these guys. I won't admit that I know one single thing about Buffalo, but I'm sure of this - they don't have athletes that are half as good as Texas' athletes. The offense should have another field day and I'd like to think it will be a good opportunity to build confidence with the young secondary. If they can snag a couple of picks it would be good.

I'm going with another big night for Colt and [insert RB/WR name here] show.
Texas - 62
UTEP - 10

More Thoughts, Predictions and Observations:
  • There's certainly a lot of buzz around Stanford after they beat Oregon State - the media's dark-horse darling. Not discounting their victory, but I think Arizona State is probably a bit better than OSU. However I do think there is a great chance that this is a high-flying shoot out. I'm taking ASU at home.
  • The Oregon State at Penn State game is a bit more interesting after the suspension of 3 Penn State players. Quick reminder to those college athletes out there: it's probably not a good idea to smoke, handle or distribute weed...during the season. I believe that kind of behavior is frowned upon these days in big time college athletics....I'm just staying.
  • ...back to the game. Penn State *really* needs to win this game, but the Big 10 *REALLY* needs Penn State to win this game. I think they still pull out this victory with their new, high-flying offense. Oregon State definitely has athletes, but I think Penn State is just a little bit better - say 10 points better.
  • Speaking of *really* needing to win - add Texas A&M, Tennessee and Syracuse to that list. I can't fathom any scenario where Greg Robinson keeps his job beyond the end of the season. I say he's D-coordinator somewhere next year.
  • I think the Aggies take out some frustration on New Mexico on the road. Too much Goodson.
  • I might be leaning this way because I want this to be a good game, but I think Miami hangs with Florida. Not suggesting he Canes will win, not at all. But, I do think they have the athletes to make some plays and I think these guys are going to be pumped up. What better stage to make the statement that Miami is on it's way back? I think if this club can compete and hang with Florida for 4 quarters than it will be a huge moral victory. If they could pull the upset - it would be gigantic, but I think a close one is more realistic. Who knows, the Gators may blow them out, but I just have a feeling that Miami makes this a game. Of course Harvin is coming back....that could put a damper on my wishful thinking.
  • Careful Tech, don't get sloppy....Hooser will be there in person and you *don't* want to piss him off. I suggest you win by 30+. Speaking of, let's see what Hooser has to say about his Red Raiders: http://fannation.com/blogs/post/245576
  • Why in the world did USC jump in the polls after week 1? This is precisely why we don't need pre-season polls. The impact that this jump could have down the road is huge. Didn't Georgia, Ohio State and Oklahoma dominate their opponents? If a USC blowout next to those other team's blowouts really weighs more than they probably should have been ranked 1 to begin with. I get the Trojans played Virginia, but I'm not sure Virginia would have beaten any of the other team's opponents save for OU's. Either way, I think that's just nuts.
  • Flipping between US Open and CFB and the South Carolina/Vanderbilt game is a good one. Vanderbilt's offense looks damn good. Wish I could say the same for Roddick. 
NFL Notes:
  • Let me just say that it's quite nice to have REAL nfl football on television. Even better, we get Monday Night Football starting next week. MNF is really one of my favorite things - even as much as I love college football, MNF is almost tops on the list. I can't explain it really, I just love it. It's....comforting.
  • I gotta think it's going to be hard for the Saints to garner much motivation and energy from Gustav. Lots of a drama in the Big Easy and it ain't about football. I think Tampa takes advantage and gets a road win in this one.
  • For the record (not sure which "record", but whatever), I was never buying any of the Brady and/or Manning injuries. I say they're both fine and both come out slinging this weekend.
  • I'm taking Jacksonville over the Titans in Nashville.
  • Weird game from Giants/Skins tonight - all the scoring was in the first half. Manning played a pretty darn good game although he had 1 pick to 0 touchdowns. Jacobs had a great game.
  • I hope that any of those teams who decided to pass on Jason Taylor weren't watching this game - he reminded us just how good he is. I don't think his stats will tell the story, but he was in Manning's face quite often as well as breaking up short passes. He looked very good.
US Open Tennis:
Watched the Andy Roddick/Novak match on and off tonight and - surprise, surprise - Roddick lost. BUT, the best part was Novak was talking all sorts of trash about some comments that Roddick may have made about Novak's injuries...anyway, not sure what the story is and sure as hell ain't looking it up, but this dude was being crass and sarcastic and it's one of these interviews where the people in the stands can hear and they booed his ass. It was great. Could that moment have been the death of tennis in America?

That's what I got folks. Enjoy the weekend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home